It’s been a while since I last visited the hawker center in Kompleks Makanan Padang Kota Lama (or more commonly known as Esplanade). This complex on the seafront promenade has many stalls offering Indian food, fresh seafood and Western food.

There are a few stalls offering pasembur and the most popular would be Hussain Pasembur.

Hussain Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

A basic place of pasembur comes with thick cuts of cucumber strips, radish (mangkuang), blanched bean sprouts, crispy crackers, prawn fritters, bean curd and hard-boiled egg. The worker spoons several spoonfuls of warm orangey spicy and sweet peanut sauce over the salad, coating every part of it.

Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

Hussain Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

There are many beverages available including the teh tarik, refreshing coconut juice and coconut shake. With the blistering CNY heat, I thoroughly enjoyed my pasembur with a glass of creamy coconut shake.

Hussain Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

Satisfying snack!

Hussain Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang ( a.k.a The Esplanade) is my first attempt on videoblography. I am sure there will be more improvement in my vlogs as time goes by. Stay tuned for more of it on my future gastronomic tour on the best of Penang food and travel!

Besides the basic ingredients which are quite similar as those found in many other pasembur stalls, Hussain Pasembur also offers a fairly large selection of add-on items too.

I like to top my plate of pasembur with the crispy and crunchy cracker as it is really fresh. The prices of the ingredients starts from RM0.50 and goes up to as high as RM15.00, so it is best to check out the prices before you start piling up your plate.

Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

Pasembur at Padang Kota Lama, Penang

For those who don’t like the pasembur literally flooded with the gravy, you can request to have it serve separately so it won’t be mushy and soggy.

This place has a terrific seaview, click here for the Map Location.

Hussain Pasembur
Padang Kota Lama
Penang

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 at 11:00 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Mamak/Indian, Pasembur, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Have not been there for a very long time, but our recent trip there during CNY was an occasion that we would not forget. RM74 for just 2 plates of cuttle fish & kang kung, 2 plates of grilled dry sotong and 2 plates of cockles. Each plate is for 2 servings, which was is not really big and tasty.

And the pasembur we had there was not really tempting of sort. I even resorted to dipping into the rojak gravy for taste.

February 24th, 2010 at 12:52 am

Jason Wong – Always be smart and check out the prices of the food before you order especially during the holiday season. I think most people will know by now to first check out the prices before they order if they are not sure of it.

Btw, I have not tried those dishes that you mentioned except for the pasembur stall that I have been revisiting number of times.

February 24th, 2010 at 1:15 am
paul

Hi there just wanna say good job on the vblog. Enjoy it very much. Keep it up!!! Another great form of interaction from your already well food blog. Cheers.

February 24th, 2010 at 7:09 am

You are right, always be cautious of what you take for your pasembur, it has in many occasions shocked me. Well done with your new gadget, who is the cameraman, just wandering….

February 24th, 2010 at 7:10 am

paul – Thanks for your encouraging words!

hApPy HaPpY – Have to be a bit more cautious on the pricing especially when we go and eat with a big group of friends.

Will definitely try to improve on the video, my part and also the recording of it. I am happy to have my son as the cameraman for this video…

February 24th, 2010 at 9:02 am

scrumptious pasembur…..must try having different combination next time…

February 24th, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh I remember trying the pasembur here last time! Saucer’s favourite too! :)

February 24th, 2010 at 9:31 am

yeah VBlog! haha
I like pasembur too but… only have it at Padang Brown…opposite CDK..

the reason is… I’m afraid kena “chop vegetable head” …. pricy sometimes

February 24th, 2010 at 9:51 am

Pasembur is possibly d only item I like in gurney drive, aside from d mua Chee. Though never tried this esplanade one.

February 24th, 2010 at 11:19 am

the urban city punya parang pisau..once not careful on the pricing..kena chop kau kau~:p

February 24th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

SimpleGirl – Good idea!

iamthewitch – Looks like husband & wife have same taste :)

ahKOK – Prices of certain items can be sky high.

J2Kfm – Give it a try to find out …it might or might not be your taste.

taufulou – Ya lor…must be careful so not to get kena kau kau.

February 24th, 2010 at 3:01 pm
~babydeviL~

OMGGGG CK me love ur idea! Vblog…! U r so innovative n creativ! Where i can find more of ur vlogs????

U r da best food blogger in da whole Malaysia! Keep up good work!!!

February 24th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Personally I feel that it’s a little overprice… if not carefully check out the price for every piece.. it might be a bomb.. I’m more prefer to the classic chinese pasembur instead.. hehe.. anyway, nice video blog…

February 24th, 2010 at 6:19 pm

It’s been a while since I had Pasembur and even during CNY I was in Penang, I didn’t have the appetite for it even passing the Pasembur stalls. Maybe on my next visit when Png is not so crowded. Thanks for the info though.

Regards,
David

February 24th, 2010 at 7:26 pm

nice vblog ck!! i bet that coconut shake is really yummy too! :)

February 24th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Before we place order, we already specify that we want only serving of 2 pax per plate, but when serve it was for 3. That is why we do not step foot into tourist spots but were forced to that faithful day when entertaining out of town folks. and having to avoid the massive jam in Gurney Drive.

Lucky we were not free to blog about them, but wanted to share it here with you and your readers. Anyway, Happy CNY.

February 25th, 2010 at 12:20 am

~babydeviL~ – Thank you for your support :)

Mabel – Probably will put up a review on Chinese pasembur…

Malaysia Asia – You are most welcome.

lingzie – Cold, creamy, and strong coconut flavor. Do try one.

Jason Wong – Gong Xi Fa Cai and thanks for sharing your outing experience!

February 25th, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Wow…Vblog, nice work!! Maybe you can feel more relax when you are on the camera!! Just be yourselves, hee!! Good luck~

February 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

whao, rm15 for a single piece? wonder what is that @@

March 1st, 2010 at 11:40 am

I think if we really calculate each different pieces that we pick, I am sure the price is correct, same goes with nasi kandar!
lol!

March 2nd, 2010 at 8:43 am
Sammy

Haven’t tried this stall yet. The one selling at MPPP Hawker Center at Gurney Drive (next to Goh Han Kee Restaurant) is fantastic!!! Previously they were selling at Edgecume Rd. when i was a child. Business Hours: for lunch only. Closed o Friday.

****** MUST TRY ******