**Updated  July 2011** – The place has since closed down!

BY CK Lam

It was a moment of relaxation when one sets foot in Kopi Cine, the in-house cafe of Straits Collection set up by Bon Ton. Occupying the ground floor corner unit in Stewart Lane, the cafe occupies a rather small L-shaped dining space stretching to a few tables on the walkway.

Kopi Cine of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

Kopi Cine is a casual neighborhood cafe that has a mixed clientele. The cafe with its wooden counter and high chairs has several tables leaning against the wall. The classic old counter looked extremely enticing, with a glass counter filled with cakes. The interior furnished with ceiling fans and decorated with colorful photos and art pieces, provides a relaxing venue to enjoy good food and wine.

Kopi Cine of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

They have an interesting menu with separate sections for breakfast, lunch and tapas-style dinners together with an interesting wine menu. I had the pleasure of trying out the food in Kopi Cine on several visits.

Breakfast – 9 am till Noon

On the first breakfast visit, I got to meet up with their proprietor, Narella McMurtrie. She guided me through the menu and recommended a few amazing breakfast items. Breakfast includes several varieties of coffee; all was indeed comforting in their own ways. I had the Macchiato RM8, which gave me a satisfying coffee kick.

Macchiato _resize

Alongside the coffees, there were two egg dishes. The Creamy Scrambled Eggs is presented with Salsa & Toast and generous serving of Smoked Salmon RM 28.

Creamy Scrambled Eggs with Salsa & Toast and Smoked Salmon 2_resize

Aside from the coffee, there are the fresh fruit frappes. The refreshing Lemon & Mint RM10 is particular zesty.

Mint_resize

The other egg dish was the Brie, Cheddar & Basil Omelette served together with Onion Relish & Toast RM 20. Perfectly prepared and comes with the right portion with the soft aromatic Brie.

Brie, Cheddar & Basil Omelette served alongside with Onion Relish & Toast

Banana Bread has been one of my favorite. I had the thick slice of toasted banana bread slathered with butter alongside with the fresh banana and cream RM12.

Toasted Banana Bread with fresh banana and cream _resize

A part of its wall is still adore with an old sign ‘Serbuk Kopi Kim Guan’ which reflect the history of the adjacent place which was once a traditional coffee mill. The deep rusted roasting pots is still featured in the open courtyard.

Kopi Cine of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

Walkway seating watching the life goes by

Lunch- Noon to 4pm

Lunch for me began with a refreshing Crushed Mint & Lime Soda RM10 and the Iced Caramel with Gula Melaka Ice Cream RM 16. I loved the creamy rich concoction of the Iced Caramel with a unique blend of taste.

Crushed Mint & Lime Soda A_resizeIced Caramel with Gula Melaka Ice Cream A

Outdoor seating area of Kopi Cine_resize

Tables are scattered in the walkway

The meal started with a Thai Style Chicken Salad in a pomegranate dressing. It was topped with Macadamia Nuts which added a crunchy texture to this starter.

Thai Style Chicken Salad 4

The next dish was Burger with Melted Cheese, Avocado & Caramelised Onions RM 28. I particularly liked the way it was served, in mini sized portions which makes eating much more convenient. The bun is split open and served inside it was a juicy piece of well seasoned minced beef.

Two Mini Burgers with Melted Cheese, Avocado & Caramelised Onions

It was simply enjoyable having the mini burger with avocado and slightly melted cheese. A portion of fresh iceberg lettuce round up the flavors beautifully. The Ice Moccha RM 9 paired well with the burger.

IMG_1187_resize

On the day of my visit, the Day’s Special was the Tuna Cakes with Mango Salad. The deep-fried tuna cakes served crisp on the surface goes well with the nice touch of the sweet and tangy flavor of the mango.

Tuna Cakes with Mango Salad 1_resize

Dinner / Tapas / Sharing Plates – 6pm to 10.30pm

The dinner menu comes with a good selection of seafood, meat, poultry dishes and beverages. It was great pairing the Crushed Mint & Lime Soda and the Pineapple Mint Tea with the meal. Both were prepared with a nice combination and refreshing to drink.

Indoor seating area of Kopi Cine_resize

Dining area inside the cafe

Pineapple Mint Tea_resize Crushed Mint & Lime Soda 3_resize

For starter, the Mezze Plate comes with a selection of flavorful thick Hummus, Eggplant Dip, Tomato Salsa, Olive Oil and Dukka with Pita RM20.

It was scrumptious having the warm pita dipped in the olive oil with the crumbly mixture of Dukka. The dips are easily scooped up with the accompanied pita and are easily among the best in town.

Mezze Plate with  selection of Hummus, Eggplant Dip, Tomato Salsa, Olive Oil and Dukka with Pita 2_resize

Kopi Cine served the Rocket, Avocado, Cherry Tomato & Cashewnut salad RM26 by just mixing with simple soy sauce and lime dressing.

Chicken Schnitzel Sandwich with Mixed Rocket Salad, Tomato & Avocado _resize

Two of the items in the The Day’s Special were The Beef & Guinness Pie with Mashed Potato & Salad RM25 & the Egg Roll with Avocado & Tomato RM12. The beef pie in an egg-washed thin and crispy texture comes filled with minced beef in a rich and pungent flavor. The pies are much sought after as only small batches are baked daily to maintain their freshness.

The Beef & Guiness Pie _resize

The Egg Roll with fillings of Avocado & Tomato RM12 makes a healthy snack anytime of the day.

Egg Roll 2_resize

Kopi Cine has a variety of cakes for dessert. I had tasted several during my visits; Tiramisu with Kahlua, Italian Cream Cake and the Chocolate Pistachio Cake. Every piece of the cake makes a great treat especially with a cup of aromatic coffee!

A cup of coffee_resize

I truly enjoyed the richness of the all-time classic, Chocolate Brownies and loved the big chocolate pieces in the Choco Chunk Cheesecake.

Chocolate Brownies _resize

The cakes are sinfully heavenly

A visit to Kopi Cine is not complete without having a look at the neighbouring Reading Room. This place is stocked with books, from art, travel, food to novels including children’s books!

The Reading Room of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

The Reading Room of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

Another section of the Reading Room

The Reading Room of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

Narella did a great job in setting up Kopi Cine in this architectural heritage building. I enjoyed my meal at Kopi Cine and looking forward to making this cafe one of my regular dining place.

Kopi Cine of Straits Collection Penang by what2seeonline.com

The Day’s Special is posted on a blackboard in front of the cafe

There is always something happening at this corner cafe, the place for comfort food while watching the street life go by.

The cafe is just a few minutes’ walk away from several of Penang landmarks, including the house of Mr Lee Beng Chuan, Penang’s famous joss sticker maker and the Goddess of Mercy temple. Click here for the Map Location.

Kopi Cine
55 Stewart Lane
Corner of Chulia Lane
10200 George Town
Penang

Business Hour : 9.00am – 11.00pm – 7 days a week
Tel: 04 263 7299

GPS Coordinates : N05.41917   E100.33777

Email: info@straitscollection.com.my
Website: www.straitscollection.com.my

* This is a reproduction of my article published in New Straits Times

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 15th, 2010 at 6:05 pm and is filed under Cafe, Coffee, George Town, Heritage, Media Preview, New Straits Times (Life & Times), Penang, Pork Free, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Kenneth

i like the environment. must go n try the coffee…….hehe…

Indeed a place with both…great food and a casual ambiance.

May 15th, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I wanna dine at such a nice place too >.<

Make a trip up Penang and we go makan at this place together.

May 15th, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Is it Kopi Cine or Kopi Sini? Kopi O satu, mali sini! :P

P.S. Like how you split up the food review and the place review. :)

Creative translation, Kenny.
Just have to split the review into two post as it was long and there were so many photos to share with everyone. Glad you like it.

May 15th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

ooo i love this place! have only gone for breakfast and look forward to trying out their other foods! :)

Do look out for their day’s special too…

May 16th, 2010 at 10:20 am

gosh it was indeed a great place…
must visit when im back..
CK lets go I buy you coffee hehehe
cheers

Looking forward to a makan outing with you too. Do keep me updated on the dates.

May 16th, 2010 at 10:32 am

Penang really such beautiful place uh?? I never know there’s a place like that. Thanks for sharing.
BTW, the shots are stunning! I like…

This place is well hidden from the main road. Just follow the road leading from the side of the Goddess of Mercy Temple and it will lead you to Kopi Cine.

May 16th, 2010 at 11:46 am

I wish I can be there 1 day , the food and the mood looks good !

A recommended place to visit…

May 16th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

This looks gorgeous! I think there’s so much potential for old Georgetown to be preserved properly and made tourist-friendly.

I am sure it can be done. Hope the relevant parties will put in more to make it a success.

May 16th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I would recommend Kopi Cine anytime for its great food and desserts and especially for its efforts in restoring and preserving the heritage of old Penang.

Job well done by the proprietor!
I miss those delicious food & cakes. It would be lovely if we visit this place together.

May 16th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Must check it out one day! Nice ambiance and tasty food!

Do make a trip there…breakfast, lunch and dinner is available.

May 16th, 2010 at 11:11 pm

lovely I would love to do a 3 meals in a day at this awesme place! Truly a treasure in penang, wonder if there is any of such in KL?

Truly a place that you must visit when you come up to Penang. I will definitely bring you there.

May 17th, 2010 at 8:07 am

wow! nice photography…
looks like some 1 improve in photgraphy d…:p

i just love how penang fnb now had transform… loving the style of the shop and i just want to hvae a glass of the mint squash n lime with soda.. in this hot sunny day~

A place for great food and for photography too!

May 17th, 2010 at 11:37 am

Wah improve a lot in photography ….. Congratz …

This place is marked must go liao ! When I go back Penang this coming wesak, we go there lim teh and shoot some nice pix …. :D

Thanks sifu!

May 17th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hi CK…I have an award for you..please do drop by and collect it :) You deserved the Sunshine Award for all the excellent write out on your blog. It truly brings sunshine into my life..all the yummy food and wonderful pictures you always oput up on your blog :)

Do check it out here :))

Thank you so much Elin. I am truly blessed to know you from the very beginning of my blogging days.

May 18th, 2010 at 7:02 am

hi ck lam…next time when i go to penang again, i need to check ur site to list down all the great food sites. i love to drink coffee in this kind of cafe…very authentic.

Do give me a call when you are coming up to Penang…can arrange a makan outing together.

May 19th, 2010 at 10:13 am

damned, the food really look nice man

Looks delicious and taste delicious too :)

May 20th, 2010 at 10:01 am

This is certainly a great place with great food. I love the reading room, nice place to relax.

The reading room is very different in terms of ambiance and the collection of books. A nice place to relax in…

May 20th, 2010 at 4:13 pm
ahmiao

really looks yummy….and all the ingredients are very expensive de….thinking to try this tomorrow night…coz the chef promished that i can get 50% one… @_@

May 21st, 2010 at 1:01 pm

The tiramisu with kahlua is delicious! The apple and guava crumble is not nice though and it’s a really small portion for RM18. Some of the staff (upper management?) are not friendly and kind of just ignored the customers. Not a smile or a hello or even a nod, even when we walked past or was right in front of her. First impressions are everything and it was quite a turnoff. Thank goodness for the nice waitress who saved the day and even gave us a tour of the rooms.

May 24th, 2010 at 1:19 am

Thanks CK. I enjoyed the cakes and coffee there. Though slightly warm from the scorching weather.

May 24th, 2010 at 9:01 am
Vince

That place is very very hot and NO aircon!!!
Hellooo…. this is Malaysia!
One visit is more than enough for me, also the drinks are very expensive given the SMALL cups!

May 31st, 2010 at 10:04 pm
Vince2

Agreed with Vince. The place is hot. ‘Crispy’ Peking duck was served without the skin. I felt like having Char Koay Teow without the prawns.

June 11th, 2010 at 4:13 pm
Lishan

wow… nice!!!

June 12th, 2010 at 1:01 am
Rek

The food is not bad… quite pricey for a small portion of everything… and its really burning hot even i went there at night…. prices was a bomb yet small portions given… but the food is quite tasty… overall i will be going back for more choices … but it wont be a daily and weekly visits… price issue and also its a sauna there… wont be able to sit for a chit chat after their meal…

June 14th, 2010 at 11:33 am

We just returned from Penang and didn’t find time to visit this heritage place. Next time in October maybe. About the food: when in Penang I only go eat local. Later, when we will retire to Penang, we’ll have all the time to check out the other stuff.
JP

July 3rd, 2010 at 11:32 am
esther neoh

i cant find it~ sob~

You can refer to the the map which is included at the end of my article. It is located behind the Goddess of Mercy Temple.

September 15th, 2010 at 12:37 am
Esther Neoh

Thanks Ck~ i have found it interesting and relax while having coffee and chat with the waiter there~ thanks

September 30th, 2010 at 12:04 am

i’m with Jean.
The bossy lady should learn how to smile and serve the local walk-ins (like me) well!
After all, it’s us, locals that would bring around our friends around Penang.

No doubt the food was good, but the pricing is a little too expensive for its portioning.
I would strongly suggest aircon rooms and baby friendly areas.

Just some suggestion, hope you could convey my feedback to the owner. I truly liked the concept, but i dont want it be one rotten apple spoils the barrel.

November 22nd, 2010 at 11:53 pm
anson123

i haved go b4….is a nice place…the food is nice n the coffee also nice^^

December 3rd, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Nice write on this CK. I was here in Nov 2010 and had the best cakes and coffee from Penang. Judging from your article, seems like you guys had the entire menu! Time I finished my article on the entire place.

On the part where I hear a few people voicing their displeasure, it’s simply noted that you cannot please everyone. I like the crowd as they are when I went there and would hate to see this place turning into one of those places where people go only to be seen or seek value for their ringgit.

David

January 2nd, 2011 at 10:21 pm
Kelly

Hi, I was wanting to know if you have the option of skim/low fat milk with your coffee’s. I find it very disapointing that many smaller cafes in Penang do not have low fat milk only places like Starbucks and coffee bean, I would much prefer to enjoy a coffee and meal at small more unique cafes like yours but like to watch my calories.

July 4th, 2011 at 5:49 pm
Ramakrishna

Thanks ck, it is very nice , importent,entertainment webset.

October 30th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Straits Collection, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 15 2010 / 6pm:

[...] the ground floor corner unit is the in-house cafe, Kopi Cine. This casual and relaxing cafe serves separate menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner along with [...]