*This article was also published in the New Straits Times (Life & Times) on 6th August 2010.

Nestled within Bellisa Row in Penang’s bustling Pulau Tikus is Cassis, a fine dining restaurant. The cozy restaurant with a dining hall upstairs is decorated with a huge chandelier. Despite being only opened several months, Cassis is already drawing in the crowds and had garnered a following of diners.

Hubby and I recently enjoyed a six course set dinner in this restaurant which is helmed by the relatively young Chef Weng. His last stint was at Wino’s, Margaret River in Perth before coming back to Penang.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

The six-course weekend set dinner was priced at RM188++ per pax, inclusive of a glass of California wine. Besides this glass of wine, we paired the food with two additional bottles of Villa Maria’s wine.

The meal had plenty of items that piqued our interests. We started off the meal with fresh homemade buns dipped in brand olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This was followed up by Scallops with Yuzu Vinaigrette and Shiso. The two discs of sashimi grade Hokkaido scallops were perfectly cooked and the zesty sauce complemented it well. This scallop dish was paired with the Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2009.

Scallops with Yuzu Vinaigrette and Shiso

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

The waiter brought in the next course, which was the Albacore tuna from Holland. The fish was cooked medium rare and drizzled with truffle cream and the fragrant chervil. The two pieces of perfectly cooked fish tasted moist and goes well with the maitake mushroom.

Albacore tuna from Holland

IMG_9582_resize

The Duck Breast served together with foie gras, cherry, pear puree and balsamic reduction proved to be quite delightful. The duck had the right amount of meat and fat, and the flesh was moist. The duck breast pieces was delicious eaten with the pear puree and the creamy foie gras.

IMG_9607_resize

Duck Breast together with foie gras

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

This duck dish was paired with the recommended Syrah Gimblett Gravels Hawkes Bay 2006 Cellar Selection. Displaying alluring dark fruit and peppery spicy aromas, the medium bodied wine swirled with its mouth-filling tannis.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Pacific Halibut was served alongside with smoked eel, zucchini, fennel puree and spice carrot froth. The light flavored fish contrasted nicely with the heavier taste of the smoked eel. This fish dish whetted our palates for the upcoming hearty meat dish.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

This set dinner comes with a choice of main course, either the Rack of Lamb or the Grain Fed Beef Tenderloin. I had the lamb which was served with a cube of feta, wild rocket leaves, beetroot puree and mint oil. This beautiful piece of lamb from New Zealand was tender and its taste was enhanced even further with the tangy and salty taste of the feta.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

The other option is the Grain Fed Beef Tenderloin. The seared piece of Australian beef with a smoky flavor was accompanied with spinach, mushroom ragout and a swirl of parsley oil. The tender beef served without much sauce was delightful paired with the woodsy flavor of the mushroom and the red Syrah wine.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

With set meals, dessert is definitely on the cards. We were treated to the Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta topped with orange Pearl. The creamy, set dessert was utterly chocolaty and flavored with touch of orange pearl. I thoroughly enjoyed mine but my hubby prefers it with a lighter chocolate.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Chef Weng has working experience in many overseas restaurant, Fujiya Japanische Restaurant (Salzburg, Austria), Tanuki Japanese Restaurant and AQUA (2 Michelin Stars) in San Francisco besides his last stint in Wino. His passion for creativeness was seen in the dishes that we had.

Cassis Restaurant @ Bellissa Row, Penang by what2seeonline.com

We enjoyed the dinner, and are definitely visiting Cassis again for more of their fine cuisines!

Cassis Restaurant
Ground & Mezzanine Floor
368-1-14 Belissa Row
Jalan Burma
10350 Penang

Tel : 04 2293858

Business Hour: 12pm – 2.30pm & 7pm till late

Closed on Tuesday

<p style=”text-align: justify;”></p>

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 12:38 am and is filed under Fine Dining, Media Preview, New Straits Times (Life & Times), Penang, Pulau Tikus. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I’d just passed by, how come I didn’t notice?? Or, I’d actually overlooked?
Thanks for sharing!

It is located two doors away from Ambank.

August 5th, 2010 at 8:47 am

Great dining ambiance lar :)

August 5th, 2010 at 12:51 pm
Naomi Akishita

Good food and service
My family and friends like it.

August 5th, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Tan

I went there few weeks back with my wife. Foods is really something else that we hv yet to try bfore in Pg except price is ridiculous! And its a set menu! BUT i had a bad encounter the lamb I ordered was good from the outside BUT still freezing inside! They didnt take the opportunity to redo they basically don care! Can try for those who is seeking for a fine dining culinary taste! Bill for 2paxs be prepared to fork out RM500 with some change!

Sad to hear of your dining experience. I have visited this restaurant twice and I personally find the food to my liking.

August 5th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

AQUA has already lost both its Michelin stars so it is now with no stars and has also temporarily closed down.

As for my experience at Cassis, the food was not memorable but the service was good. Yes, price is high for Penang standards, about RM800 for 3 pax.

Nowadays fine dining with quality sure does not come cheap, whether it is in Penang, Kl or other parts of the world.

August 6th, 2010 at 12:23 am

The place looks nice

August 6th, 2010 at 11:41 am

food & environment are great!! But expensive =.=”

August 6th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Added to my to be makan list in Penang. Such a nice ambiance restaurant and fine foods.

August 6th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

wow I will defintely be dropping by!

Sounds like many may not know how to enjoy fine dining! :)

August 6th, 2010 at 10:40 pm
Google IT

Hi all there!! As we know Fine Dinning doesn’t come cheap!!! FYI, we pay for service, food art, quality of the food, renovation of the place and so on…. Do you guys know how expensive to buy imported products!!

Second of all, Did you guys check the price before order?? I believe most of you guys just can afford places like James FOO western food. As usual mixed grill or chicken chop or whatever chop.. It’s a sad food and calling name for it. C.K. LAM trying to introduce new food concept and new dinning experience for you guys. Should have appreciate.

We have to blame our poor government!!! Look at our CURRENCY!! We need 3 over ringgit to 1 US dollar.. How can we enjoy GOOD FOOD!!! RIGHT??

Thanks and do please think before comment!!

August 6th, 2010 at 11:20 pm
Fei Fei

If u r looking at price for the food u wanna enjoy, Casis definately is not your choice! But quality of service and food, yes this is the place! I went there for 3 times already, I still enjoy it. Cause everytime I was there, they have different menu. They changed the menu pretty often!

Big Boys Oven – yes, I do feel the same. many may not know how to enjoy fine dining.

August 6th, 2010 at 11:21 pm
E*stelle

Google IT, eventhough I agree with some of what you said but I for one believed that some restaurants(esp. the ones in KL) are over-priced. The last couple of times I’ve been to the restaurants at the hotels in the city, my(2pax) bill has never fails to exceed 1K-3K with or without wine. Having been to establishments like Per Se, Nobu, Gordon Ramsay Claridge, Sketch, Alain Ducasse, Pierre Gagnaire, Tetsuya etc I would say prices here are at times almost on par with the above much to my disbelievement. To note that on ave. it only costs 180-300GBP at Nobu.

Yes, diners should check the prices esp. when in “unknown territories” but some restaurants odd to have more well-informed waiting staffs. Once a waiter bought me a whole HUGE lobster which of course he didnt informed me about the size of it nor do i know that it would be served whole since on all my previous visits every dish is pretty much of an arty, small portions. Needless to say, was hit with rm900 just for that alone. Anyway, kudos to CK Lam for a job well done. Keep it up!

August 10th, 2010 at 3:49 am
janice7288

we visited last week.. food yummy n nice environment.. will visit again..:)

October 25th, 2010 at 6:07 am
ed

need to make reservation?

It is advisable to do so as they do cater for private functions.

November 9th, 2010 at 11:03 am
hantrence

i’ve been there..the food is nice and special…i like the environment as well..overall, thumbs UP!

December 24th, 2010 at 12:16 pm
Chewy Ng

If you want to find alternative good quality of food and environment, The View is another choice. Fine Dinning are not just talking about the food, but also the comfort of enjoying the food. The only think I really dislike cassis is the washroom. Very bad maintained.

January 11th, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Fong

Is the food HALAL? I need to arrange a company dinner there, some Malay staffs will be going..

February 22nd, 2011 at 2:15 pm
Jess Chan

Cassis is one of the finest fine dining restaurant in Penang. Great food and ambience!!!

September 12th, 2011 at 12:08 am
Kim

My family and I waited 2hrs for our main course after some bread niblets, it was a weekend night so should we be complaining?

October 5th, 2011 at 11:36 am
SYS

Is there band performing on christmas even or even christmas night?

December 6th, 2011 at 11:20 pm
Sally Ooi

Would like to gather infomation for our company dinner , approximately 20 person.
Date – 13th January or 14th January

December 20th, 2011 at 2:12 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Villa Maria Wine Dinner Extravaganza at Cassis, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Sep 16 2010 / 4pm:

[...] many food connoisseurs together for a night of fine indulgence. This event was held in the trendy Cassis Restaurant, the fine dining restaurant outlet in the bustling Pulau Tikus [...]