In my recent post on Isaribi Tei Japanese Restaurant, I received plenty of comments and feedbacks from my readers on other Japanese food and restaurants too. One of them is the Kirishima Japanese Restaurant, situated in the lobby level of Cititel Hotel, Penang. We visited this restaurant which is known through word of mouth as one of the best Japanese restaurant in town!

P1110636

We were guided to our seat in the main dining hall. Browsing through their huge and colorful menu, we noticed that Kirishima does offer a wide variety of Japanese dishes. We placed our orders and while waiting for the food, we were given a cold towel to freshen up.

We had this King Prawn Roll @RM24 – Deep fried king prawn rolled with salmon and avocado. Indeed, this dish was skillfully prepared and presented as well! This combination of fruit, fish roe and seafood was very tasty.

P1110689

P1110683

We took the Kirishima Bento which was recommended by my dear friend, Pixen who had tried out most of the Japanese restaurant in town. Indeed a good choice, this dish @RM38 came with a wide variety of items in small portion, arranged in two trays. Appetizer consist of cawan mushi, pickles, salad and teapot soup. Other dishes make up of sushi, deep fried chicken, tempura, sashimi and soba. Desserts included were pudding and fresh fruits.

P1110729P1110702P1110703

P1110714P1110725P1110726

P1110715P1110744DSC00514

The tiny teapot came filled with clear soup. The soup was pour into the provided small teacup. The art of drinking the soup was having small sips of soup from the teacup. This concept was rather unique.

P1110739 2

For those who prefer to have some sake or authentic Japanese beverages, there are many varieties to choose from to complement the food.

P1110760P1110761P1110758

P11107571P1110642

Some of the assorted sashimi, sushi, deep fried tempura and stone grilled beef  were from the other larger set, Kirishima Gozen which was priced at RM48.

P1110721

P1110737

P1110718

P1110723

P1110707

The dessert menu came with plenty of tempting choices -  Tiramisu, Green Tea Ice Cream, Mochi and so on. However, we were just too full to have any of them. It is best to make an advance reservation for the dinner. There are many dining areas with your choice of counter seat, private dining room or the main dining area. Non-smoking area are also available.

P1110762P1110660

P1110751P1110651

P1110755P1110671

Although the counter seats can be a bit noisy,  some customers still choose to sit there to get the first hand watching the skilled chefs in action – which can be very interesting.

P1110748

P1110764

The food is of fine quality and prices are slightly on the higher end. We still love to visit this restaurant again to savour the other dishes, provided hubby don’t mind picking up the bill :)

P1110682

P1110686

P1110695

P1110652

The location & map of the restaurant can be seen here.

The details of this hotel is:

Cititel Hotel Penang,
No. 66 Penang Road,
10000 Penang

Tel : 04 3700108
04 3701188

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, November 7th, 2008 at 8:16 pm and is filed under George Town, Hotels, International, Japanese Cuisine, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

This is another great place for Japanese food. Hmm…will mark it down.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Chicken Rice

November 7th, 2008 at 9:58 pm

This is a great place for Japanese food! But it’s very expensive :-(

allie´s last blog post..Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks @ Qbay

November 7th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

i’ve been there once…no doubt it’s finger licking good but a bit pricey as what allie mentioned…

but worth going :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Halloween

November 8th, 2008 at 4:36 am

Looks great…have you tried the one in G Hotel? (can’t remember the name, Mikura or something like that)

Christy´s last blog post..Vietnam landed in Penang with Miss Saigon

November 8th, 2008 at 5:16 am

Little Inbox – Food is good and comes with attentive service.

Allie & Tau Sar Phneah – It is a nice place for that once in a while ‘special’ occassion.

November 8th, 2008 at 9:20 am

Christy – This is sure one of the best Japanese restaurant in town…do give it a try.
Will take note of the one you recommend, thks.

November 8th, 2008 at 9:30 am

Been to this restaurant recommended by my Japanese frens.. Good food, interesting pick your dish from the counter too.

November 8th, 2008 at 9:52 am

I miss the food here ……. I usually visit them with my bro and both of us can kill one table full of goodies there …. lol …..

November 8th, 2008 at 10:37 am

This restaurant is my target of “save the best for last” :)

November 8th, 2008 at 10:44 am

The food looks great and … has anyone ever told U that the 1st picture looks more like girl friend and boy friend i/o mother and son ? Don’t tell him, he’ll get mad, Ha Ha !

November 8th, 2008 at 10:50 am

Jencooks – I could see that this place is patronized by mostly Japanese…families and even individuals, mainly for its quality.

Email2me – The menu has plenty of goodies and choices which I had so much difficulty choosing…must go back for more…haha

Cariso – When you do visit, please remember to include me lor…

Joan – The food is delicious and well presented too, can drop by and try it out.
I have been told that my son do resemble me but I can’t really see it myself…haha.
Btw… he won’t get mad cos he is a friendly young man.

November 8th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

You’ve made the right choice!! This is one of the best Jap Restaurant in town, about the price, it has yet to beat Waka in City Bayview. Waka used to be in Rasa Sayang Resort before it renovated.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Star View Restaurant, New World Park

November 8th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

wow! this is so awesome and so thrilling to have a glimpse of it! You can’t stop me from not visiting this place, japanese food is my safe heaven!
We should meet this december! will be in contact with you soon!

November 9th, 2008 at 10:12 am

Yes, Kirishima just keeps getting better and better! I think the menu underwent a revamp a year or two ago – I’m familiar with the old menu but haven’t been back much since the new menu took over. Looks like they’re still on top of things! I love the brothy they serve in the teapot – so simple yet magnificent!

November 9th, 2008 at 10:21 am

New Kid on the Blog – We really enjoyed our dinner at Kirishima. I have yet to visit Waka…thanks for recommending.

Big Boys Oven – I can see that you are a Japanese food fan too … would be nice to makan together.
Can’t wait to meet up in december :)

550ml jar of Faith – The menu is huge and has so many choices…you won’t have to choose the same item during each visit.

I like the teapot soup…even took a photo of myself sipping the soup from the teacup.

November 9th, 2008 at 11:04 am

sashimi amp, sushi, deep fried tempura and the stone grilled beef set looks great. For Japanese food RM48 is consider very reasonable but for the cheap skate people like me sure will be heart pain for 1 week after spending that amount. hahaha

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..The Cheapest Wantan Mee in Town @ Seng Hong Cafe

November 9th, 2008 at 4:27 pm

this is a nice place to dine. I see lots of Japanese beverages in this restaurant. I can’t wait to try it ASAP.

samyeap´s last blog post..Bandung: Grand Serela Hotel Review

November 9th, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Even a post on a restaurant that I had visited before, you always make it so informative and yet so interesting….

November 10th, 2008 at 10:22 am

Steven Goh – There is always that ‘special day’ that calls for a celebration…you will like it here.

Sam Yeap – So far, this is one place I have come across with so many variety of beverages. I am sure there is one that you like.

November 10th, 2008 at 11:08 am

Soo Sean – Maybe what you had and those that I had is totally different…and also they do change a new menu which makes it interesting.

November 10th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

KIRISHIMA!! My most most MOST fav Jap restaurant on the whole of Food Paradise (read : Penang) island! :D Thx for the wonderful pix, CK. You always have the nicest and most informative posts.

Oh btw, this weekend…I’m gonna be checking out the Bulgarian restaurant you recommended. Hopefully, I will find it as yummy as you did (I am notorious for setting too high stds on food but hey, we’re in Penang where choices are aplenty! Can’t help but have high stds, right? ;))

Eleen Por´s last blog post..Chai Leng Park ‘famous’ Yam Rice

November 10th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Hi CK,

I think this is the best jap restaurant in Penang so far…you have taken good pixs of the food…drooling and wishing it has branch in Ipoh :)))

Btw, I have tagged you on my blog, have fun doing the meme :)

Regards,
Elin

Elin´s last blog post..Olive Oil & Fresh Thyme Salad Dressing

November 11th, 2008 at 8:15 am

Eleen Por – Since my visit to Kirishima, I too like the place and I will be visiting it again. The huge menu has so so so much to offer.

Hope you too have a wonderful time at Vintage Bulgaria restaurant.

Elin – Try to squeeze this place in your Penang food list and btw, thanks for tagging me :)

November 11th, 2008 at 11:29 am

I’ve heard about how good the Jap food is in Kirishima but somehow, we never did make it there yet. Maybe one of these days…(when the pocket permits, of course!)

Foong´s last blog post..Spicy Southern Fried Chicken

November 11th, 2008 at 3:45 pm

I could hear my tummy rumble just looking at hte food…no outing for me for the time being!’sigh’

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Moments of Agony……

November 11th, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Foong – This was also my first time in Kirishima and I am sure you will drop by one of these days. Do make sure you share your review with us then.

Sweet Jasmine – No worries, Jasmine. You will be able to eat whatever you wish, once you have recover.

November 11th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Tks for this food review. I still think that the price is on the high side. Will try the bento on my coming visit.

lk´s last blog post..One-dish meal – Featured recipe in Delicious Asian Food (Hochiak)

November 11th, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Hi CK… this page of blog about Kirishima you did very well :-) You took great photos of the dishes – very sharp & detailed. 2 thumbs up! I went there before leaving for Europe. My family love the place very much.

I’d been to Miraku @ G Hotel before. Their set lunches are a bargain. Not so enthusiasted about their menus in the evening though for me. The company is the same who owned Sushi King :-) Now, this 15/11/08, the new wing @ Gurney Plaza is going to open, I hope Sakae Sushi will operate by then- I’ve to wait maybe next year to eat there :-D I hope someone wil do reportage about it so that I can read online.

Now, I have to zzzz… it’s 4.50 am here.

pixen´s last blog post..Sweet Pumpkin And Lily Bulb Soup

November 12th, 2008 at 11:50 am

lk – There are many more ala carte dishes beside the bento…many variety to try out.

Pixen – Thanks for the compliment. Will try out the new outlet in GP and when I do, I will review about it.
Have a wonderful holiday with your love ones. Do drop by often for updates.

November 12th, 2008 at 12:34 pm

i think i’ve walked past this restaurant before on the way to a japanese buffet. i browsed the menu and it was enough to piqued my interest. the year’s coming to an end, and my friend and I are planning to have a good dinner somewhere. your place here is definitely a good place to start.

quin´s last blog post..Nothing Much. Really.

November 14th, 2008 at 2:00 am

Quin – I am sure you and your friends will have a good time at this Japanese restaurant. Hope all of you have a nice holiday.

November 16th, 2008 at 1:26 am
Stella

Hai ! We plan to enjoy the Japanese cuisine at Kirishima by this week! Can’t wait anymore!

April 15th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Stella – Hope you and your friends have a great outing.

April 17th, 2009 at 12:43 am
wind-

I agree with you that the restaurant may be the best Japanese food in town, but in my opinion their taste, professional knowledge and skill is just ok?especially in Shabu shabu they know nothing about it. because i think their Shabu shabu is suck, than i ask the manager “are you guy making shabu shabu or chinese Steamboat?”. her answer is they are same…. in my opinion the answer is very unprofessional!!

April 17th, 2009 at 4:12 am

in my opinion?their price not meet their quality 2?I think the best food in penang is street food.

April 17th, 2009 at 4:36 am
Coollong

The Cod Fish Steamboat is best and should try it out.

unfortunately, during last visit at weekend which is peak season, the good memory went bad.
Bad service plus said ( come on weekday lah, dun come at weekend ????? )
Bad taste of food too……..( perhaps is peak season )

For the best Japanese restaurant, i doubt Kirishima is the best as I taste 1 Japanese restaurant even better Kirishima )

The place is at Pulau Tikus, Near Yatamura at the first corner of shot lot n the chef is from Japan too…… even Menu also in japanese words.

June 20th, 2009 at 12:09 pm
JT

sometime less is more and freshness and simplicity are what matter in Japanese food.

As far as I am concerned, cititel serves the best japanese food in town.

i preferred simple shasimi and plain sushi. too much ‘deco’ though pleases the eyes at times, only spoil the authentic taste.. when i order yellowtail sushi, i want yellowtail, not with avocardo and salmon roe or tobiko.

one of my favourite places to spend the weekend afternoon.

(then i will sneak to abu siti lane for the coconut jelly :-))

February 15th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

One of my fav Japanese restaurants in Penang since years ago. My must-order items here include ocha soba, tempura, chicken teppanyaki, baked oyster with mayo, etc. However, I find the sushi not so nice, cannot compare to the ones in Japan. Also, you can ask the waiters for recommendations as they do have some special dishes which are not on the menu.

July 25th, 2010 at 8:18 pm
Baron Chong

I like Kirishima very much~ But do you know there is a restaurant, Miyasaka?? Also one of the best Japanese Restaurant in Penang~ I love Japanese food very much but it is difficult to find a delicious one~ For this moment, I just found Kirishima and Miyasaka can make me satisfied.. Isabiri also not bad~

December 13th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

1. » Penang Japanese Restaurant List Penang Deli    Sep 13 2009 / 11am:

[...] Hotel Penang, No. 66 Penang Road, 10000 Penang Tel Number: 04 3700108, 04 3701188 Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/11/kirishima-japanese-restaurant-cititel-penang/ [...]

2. » Penang Japanese Restaurant List Penang Deli    Sep 18 2009 / 9pm: