Mar

Penang Hawker Food – Lorbak @Kheng Pin

Posted by: CK Lam   in George Town, Hawker, Lorbak, Penang

Another Penang food that most people enjoyed eating is the Penang Lorbak. It is an appetizer, a side dish of fried mixed stuff of fish fritters, fried beancurd, spring rolls, fried octopus, preserved century eggs and the lorbak roll.

The lorbak roll itself consists of chunky bites of marinated five spiced pork wrapped with bean curd skin (fu-pei). All these are eaten with a dipping of chili sauce and thick starchy lor sauce with beaten egg swirls.

img_6212_resize.jpg

This delightful snack can be found in most coffee shop, food court and roadside hawker stall. One of my favourite places for good variety of Penang Lorbak is at Kheng Pin Kafe located in the junction of Penang Road and Sri Bahari Road.

img_6206_resize.jpg

Everyone of us has a favourite item among the selections and mine is the prawn fritters (hae jie). The crispy piece of fritters which has shelled shrimps in it is just simply delicious. What would be yours?

img_3802_resize_0.jpg

img_3804_resize_0.jpg

The lorbak has an equally balance amount of five spice powder which is not so over powering. They were well flavoured and fried just right, not too dry.

img_3803_resize_0.jpg

img_3807_resize.jpg

Stuffing of shelled shrimps in tofu

img_3828.jpg

Delicacy…century egg and the slices of preserve ginger!

img_3811.jpg

Do drop in to this coffee shop to try out the Lorbak or Ngoh Hiong (as my Singaporean friends call it). Click here for the Map Location. Other place for lorbak is the hawker stall in Johor Road and at Ho Ping coffee shop in Penang Road/Jalan Kampung Malabar.

Kafe Kheng Pin
80 Penang Road
Penang

Business Hour : 7am – 3pm

Closed on Monday

GPS Coordinates : N05 25.239   E100 19.970

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, March 9th, 2009 at 12:25 am and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Lorbak, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

This is my favourite stall!

March 9th, 2009 at 1:08 am

This is my favourite stall!

lk´s last blog post..Scrambled eggs w/ tomatoes (?????????)

March 9th, 2009 at 1:10 am

this is good must bookmark it-the one i had in Gurney Drive was terrible

foodbin´s last blog post..DELICIOUS DINNER 12

March 9th, 2009 at 9:11 am

Just went back to this place two weeks ago. Apart from the Lor bak, other thing tastes nice too. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Sabah Food Hunt Part 9 ~ Port View Seafood Village

March 9th, 2009 at 10:42 am
Adelyn

Hi CK, the Lor Bak is absolutely tasty & Chicken Rice there is quite nice too :)

March 9th, 2009 at 11:01 am

foodbin – This lorbak is famous and the owner is chosen to sell it in Singapore during the Pg food promotion.

Food Paradise – Most people go there for the lorbak and chicken rice.

Adelyn – The chicken rice is one of the better ones in town…will blog about it soon.

March 9th, 2009 at 11:14 am

my selection would be prawn fritters too!!!
the tofu with prawns looks yummy also. Full of choices is a dilemma sometime. haha

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Portuguese Egg Tarts

March 9th, 2009 at 11:52 am

This is my favourite… My uncle always buy the lor bak and go home fry our own…

Mabel´s last blog post..Random Post

March 9th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This is my favourite… My uncle always buy the lor bak and go home fry our own…

Mabel´s last blog post..Random Post
Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

March 9th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

this definitely a best place to go and have nice snacks…

hi, we are having 1st anniversary celebration with some vouchers give away… come come joint the fun…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Cheras Economy Rice

March 9th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Hmm…this one super yummy! Haven’t take my dinner yet, hungry now.

little inbox´s last blog post..Kek Seng Coffee Shop @ Penang Road

March 9th, 2009 at 7:19 pm

hi CK, Kheng pin is my all time favourite hawker joint in Penang. Did you try the Hainanese Chicken rice where they give you thick soya sauce (or tau yiu) to drench it over your rice? and the only satay available in the day time by chinese. the coffee shop is owned by my friend’s family and both their parents are the one selling the drinks!

Zeek´s last blog post..Comeback

March 9th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

buzzingbee – Looks like you like the hae jie too. I love it especially when its hot.

Mabel – That’s a good idea for take away lorbak…

Penangtuapui – The food is good but sometimes parking can be a problem too.

Little Inbox – The place is only open in the day time.

Zeek – Nice of you for sharing the chicken rice…I like the smooth and tasty chicken too. I will try the satay on one of my visit.

March 9th, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I like the fried sotong here. So crispy and fragrant. Yummy!

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Top Taste Hokkien Mee

March 9th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Yup, Kheng Pin serves one of the best in Pg.
maybe its the variety.

the century egg, prawn crackers, and pork roll (lor bak) are compulsory orders.

a perfect side order, aside from Or Chien and Popiah! :) now i miss my Pg food!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..A Birthday Celebration @ Baguette & Chocolat Cafe in Sapa, Vietnam

March 9th, 2009 at 11:09 pm
Yen

Yaya it so popular one. I heard my cousin it so famous one. The sotong damn nice!!! Really DELICIOUS!!!

March 9th, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Oh I know this place! Really love the loh bak here. Always crispy and fresh! :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Reviving my wet handphone

March 10th, 2009 at 10:24 am

Allie – Its done nicely and not too chewy.

J2Kfm – Looks like you chose most of their fast moving items.

Yen – Many customers go for their famous sotong.

Iamthewitch – You sure came to the right place. This is one of the better stalls for lorbak in Pg.

March 10th, 2009 at 10:46 am

the lorbak on this stall is great and I used to visit there, just that these few days are very hot and I know if I makan this sure will get sick again :(

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Supreme Italian Food @ Bravo Italiana, i-Avenue

March 10th, 2009 at 11:03 am

I love the prawn fritters rather than lor bak!!!

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Indian Noodles & Wanton Mee at Lorong Bangkok (Bangkok Lane)

March 10th, 2009 at 11:11 am

WOw!!! This awesome. I like it.!!! YUM YUM!

Kalvin´s last blog post..What a Nice Day

March 10th, 2009 at 2:24 pm

StevenGoh.com – Eat moderately should be alright.

My Taste Heaven – Me too…haha

Kalvin – Nice of you for dropping by my blog.

March 10th, 2009 at 6:51 pm

if only internet has the ability to produce smell….!

iMyFish´s last blog post..I give you an alternative digital Saturation.

March 11th, 2009 at 2:49 am
Bris77

This lorbak stall has been my favourite since years and years ago!! This kopitiam used to sell excellent wantanmee.. but they shifted to elsewhere.
Yup, cudn’t agree more.. the white chicken rice is one of the best chicken rice in town :)
Thanks for this great post!

March 11th, 2009 at 8:12 am

Mouthwatering Lobak all the way! Have bookmarked this place for my next trip there. Thanks, CK :)))

Elin´s last blog post..Homemade Pau With Savory Turnip Fillings

March 11th, 2009 at 11:02 am

iMyFish – It will be a special day when someone invent it. Not only can we see the pic but also get the aroma of it.

Bris77 – Yeah! another supporter for this lorbak stall.

Elin – Hope the taste is to your liking.

March 11th, 2009 at 12:02 pm

walio! the lobak looks so deliDelicious, defintely you should bring us there on our next trip to Penang!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

March 11th, 2009 at 8:41 pm
One Big Mouth

This lorbak man had represented Penang Food promotion on a number of occasions in KL and Singapore. The best Penang has to offer.
Notice that the lorbak uses a single strip of 5 spice flavored lean pork loin. Each bite has a firm texture and explosion of flavors. Many other places uses minced pork.
If you are nice to the uncle, he might give you the sotong that is full of eggs … delicious
I usually mixed the chili sauce together with the sweet one, this way .. the sauces coat the food better … try it!! Just some finer points to enjoy your lorbak

March 12th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Big Boys Oven – It would be nice to meet up again.

One Big Mouth – Nice having you in my blog and also sharing your info. I do mix up the chili sauce and the lor sauce together when I eat my lorbak…it sure enhances the taste.

March 12th, 2009 at 9:52 pm

CK, you know I love you and your food blog…and have always been an avid fan. So, I think I owe it to you to be completely honest.

This place’s lorbak fell *super* short of my expectations. Like, waaaayyy short :(

I read so much abt it from other food blogs and was super curious to try it out. When I was there with my fren, both of us were extremely disappointed with the taste & the quality.

Sorry to say I can’t agree with the rest of the folks who are fans of this lorbak.

At least I am honest :)

Eleen´s last blog post..German Charm

March 13th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Eleen – Hi hi…it’s been ages since you last commented in my blog.
You are always welcome to drop your comments, be it postive or negative. This type of feedback is good for my readers as well as the hawker themselves.
Really hope to see the word ‘Eleen’ appearing in CK’s blog more often, ok? :)

March 13th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Yes, my apologies for the disappearing act. I was rather caught up with work and had to do some traveling to get up to speed with my new job.

“So busy till no time to check out food blogs? So untypical of a true Penang tham-ciak!” – I can already hear the thought in your head…coz it’s in mine as well! :D

I’ll definitely be back here more often, and hopefully … sometime in the near future, get to meet up with you and the rest of the Penang tham-ciaks.

Our food paradise is, after all, a very small island. :)

Eleen´s last blog post..German Charm

March 13th, 2009 at 7:10 pm

on second thought, I prefer not to smell it if I cant eat it….

iMyFish´s last blog post..A Fishy tale

March 15th, 2009 at 4:48 am

The prawn fritters are my favorite, followed by the lorbak. I like mine spiced well though.

Nate´s last blog post..Barley and Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard

March 20th, 2009 at 4:48 am

1. Penang Lor Mee between Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling and Beach Street | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 04 2009 / 6pm:

[...] order also comes with the lor gravy. I find the taste of Lor Mee gravy quite similar to the thick Lor sauce of the hawker food, [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm:
  3. Penang Coffee Shops / Food Courts List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:
  4. Loh Bak at BB Food Court, Bayan Baru Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 07 2010 / 10pm:

[...] have been frequently visiting this Loh Bak stall besides my other favorite one in Kafe Kheng Pin. Do share your opinions about your favorite Loh Bak stalls with me as [...]