There are plenty of ice kacang (shaved ice) with many variations in town but there is one ice kacang that really stands through time and it is found in Kek Seng coffee shop. It is located along Penang Road in Georgetown and has been in business for many years.

Many people will agree that Kek Seng is the best place for ice kacang with its signature homemade colorful agar-agar jelly and durian ice cream besides other toppings of red bean and jagung (creamy corn). The bowl of ice kacang is drenched with colorful sweet sugar syrup and dose with evaporated milk.

img_2410.jpg

Plate of ice kacang with two choices of ice cream @ RM3.50

img_2420.jpg

Satisfying sweet sugar syrup

Besides the plate of ice kacang, we usually order their homemade durian ice cream…not only one bowl but with additional ones too. The homemade ice cream has a slightly grainy texture and very flavorful. It is available all-year round unlike the fresh durians which is only available at certain time of the year.

img_2413.jpg

img_2417.jpg

Best eaten fast before the ice cream melts

img_2408.jpg

The famous durian ice cream sign

This two shoplot coffee shop still retained part of the ‘kocha’ (olden day) look and feel with the all-wood booths sitting places. They look pretty much the same as it was many years ago.

img_2404-1.jpg

Many customers have the ice kacang take away. I watched as the owner feed the block of ice in the machine and in a matter of time, the ice was shaved, drifting into the Styrofoam box. Sweet sugar syrup was added on together with the red beans and jagung, followed with the colorful jelly which was removed from its mould.

img_2433.jpg

img_2430.jpg

Many household would have used this agar-agar mould before

Scoops of durian and chocolate ice cream and pieces of agar-agar jelly vary according to the customers.  The boxes of ice kacang were ready to go with the final adding of the evaporated milk.

img_2440.jpg

Other hawker food available in the coffee shop remains the same as before with the assam laksa, chicken rice and lorbak except the koay teow thng. Click here for the Map Location.

img_2443.jpg

Kek Seng Coffee Shop
382 – 384 Penang Road
10000 Penang

Business Hour : 11am – 4.30pm

GPS Coordinates : N05 2459.4   E100 1946.5

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, June 15th, 2009 at 5:04 pm and is filed under Dessert, Durian, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Wow.

Just wow. That row of takeaway ice-kacang with the agar on top? This is why Penang is my foodie discovery of 2009! :D

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..London

June 15th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

used to be my fav ABC, before falling for the Swatow Lane’s.

the atmosphere’s good, priceless. lets hope they retain their charm til the next generations.

June 15th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

wow! the ice cream looks so smooth and the jelly so outstanding-nice for the hot weather.

foodbin´s last blog post..RESTORAN MAKANAN LAUT (HAWA DINGIN) SUN SWEE KIONG.-TANJUNG TUALANG.

June 15th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Hmm……I like their durian ice-cream.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Baked Chicken With Home Made Sauce

June 15th, 2009 at 9:38 pm

wow!!!
1st time c tis ice kacang !!!
sure’l g2 try…

fayefly´s last blog post..????? Holo’s durian stick cake

June 15th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Luv that jelly mould from before, rare sight nowadays.

jencooks´s last blog post..JADE RESTAURANT, Fullerton Hotel

June 15th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Life for Beginners – So, when is your next trip?
Will take you to try out this famous dessert.

J2Kfm – I hope they do retain the wood booth seat if they do renovate the place…that’s why I took the photo to share with all my readers.

foodbin – Do try it on your next visit.

Little Inbox – Only available in this place in town.

fayefly – This place is very famous in Penang especially the durian ice cream.

jencooks – You gave me an idea…must go and look whether it is still available in the shops.

June 16th, 2009 at 12:03 am

wow, I’ve nvr seen takeaway ice-kacang like that. The jelly does make it look even better and the durian ice-cream!!

pigpigscorner´s last blog post..Simple Spicy Anchovies

June 16th, 2009 at 6:03 am

Thank you for posting on this dessert! Didn’t know why but it makes me feel so warm in the heart especially the agar-agar. They just look so nice and simple, and makes me miss home a lot. I would definitely check this place out if I visit Penang!

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..Sushi Zanmai (????) 2nd post

June 16th, 2009 at 8:31 am

I still find Ipoh Ice Kacang is the best. I dunno why, but it’s some how diff from Penang. If you’ve a chance to visit Ipoh, check that out. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Edgecumbe Mee Goreng

June 16th, 2009 at 8:51 am

ah… this reminds me that I need to take my visitors there to sample this since they loves durian so much. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Pin Seong Seafood @ Sungai Dua, Penang

June 16th, 2009 at 9:06 am

Wah! I can feel the cooling part right now ….. taste so good when the weather so hot in Penang since last week when I was back at home

email2me´s last blog post..Dubrovnik Restaurant at Solaris Mont Kiara – The First and Only Croation Food Restaurant in Kuala Lumpur

June 16th, 2009 at 9:27 am

Next time I visit Penang, I must look you up la. I’ve been to Penang soooooo many times, but it’s always the same places to makan. Sometimes quite sian. Btw … I am now finally churning out all my Penang reviews.. haha… after such a loooong time. Quite a few articles to write .. haha.

Timothy Low´s last blog post..Lorong Selamat – Penang Hawker Fare Series

June 16th, 2009 at 10:15 am

i used to love the ice kacang there .. but long time didn’t go already.

June 16th, 2009 at 10:34 am

It has been sooooooo long since I had Kek Seng’s durian ice cream. I think it is time for a re-visit. Thanks for this write-up.

Alan´s last blog post..Pang (Hainan) Seafood

June 16th, 2009 at 10:55 am

Besides the real durian fruits, now we can go for durian ice-cream!!! Yummieeee……

Penang TuaPui´s last blog post..Relaxing lunch at Federal Place

June 16th, 2009 at 10:56 am

Durian ice cream? Wow, must give it a try before going back to Spore.

food-4tots´s last blog post..My recipe column «????» featured in Kwong Wah Yit Poh

June 16th, 2009 at 11:52 am

pigpigscorner – Quickly took out my camera and snap the photo as this is also my first time seeing the take away in this shop.

Sugar Bean – At times, the simple food is the tastiest food.

New Kid On The Blog – That sounds interesting, must find out the nice ones in Ipoh…

Food Paradise – I am sure there will be additional orders for the durian ice cream.

email2me – There are so many yummy food for you but too few days to have all of them.

June 16th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Timothy Low – Waiting to see all your Penang review, I might find some yummy food that I have miss out on.
Very much like to go for a Penang makan outing with you too.

Duckie – This long stretch of hot weather would be a nice time for cold desserts.

Alan – Me too…my earlier visit was many months ago.

Penang TuaPui – Indeed yummy…the flavor of their durian ice cream is very near to the real thing. Right now, no other homemade durian ice cream in town can be better than them lor.

food-4tots – You must…I am sure little junior will love the cold durian ice cream. Hope to see him again.

June 16th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hi,

We have just added your latest post “Penang Hawker Food” to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.

Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

June 16th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

marshall – It’s great seeing my post being added to your Food Directory. Thanks alot :)

June 16th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

has anyone tried ice kacang at the Bukit Jawi golf club? very very nice also leh

iMyFish´s last blog post..Golf swing update

June 16th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

ABC with jelly & ice-cream!!! That’smany ingredients then..like it!!!

mimid3vils´s last blog post..One Noodle

June 16th, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I only like the ice-cream and the agar-agar…not the ice…..

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

June 16th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Take away ice-kacang in styrofoam box, so unique. Em, i feel like eating ice-kacang now, nowadays weather really hot !

Mindy´s last blog post..Japanese Spring Food Fair @ One Utama

June 16th, 2009 at 6:02 pm
Rick

This coffee has quite a long history, it also serves good chicken rice and along the walking lane beside this shop, got jawa mee which is nice too.

June 16th, 2009 at 6:37 pm

:( how come everytime i eat their ais kacang dun have jelly eh…dun want to eat there d.

Jian´s last blog post..Invited Review at Ko Fu Loft (???)

June 16th, 2009 at 9:11 pm

iMyFish – Have not tasted it yet…nice to hear it from you.

mimid3vils – Most customers will take all the ingredients but there are also those that do not take the jelly.

soo sean – You are a smart lady…haha

Mindy – Unusual sight…usually hawkers would use plastic bag.

Rick – The hawker food in this coffee shop is overall quite tasty.

Jian – You must have left it out when you order the ice kacang lor…

June 16th, 2009 at 9:42 pm

hahaha tyhis is amazingly wonderful, I think ipoh lost this many years ago, neither can be found in KL! A lost treasure found, worth millions!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..James & Cissie’s Wedding Desserts at Tanarimba, Janda Baik

June 17th, 2009 at 12:23 am
Penang Tionghua

In the 50s and 60s the shop was very popular for its Cocktail Ice Kacang. Price at 60 cents per bowl it was more expensive than Hokkien Mee which sold at 10 and 20 cents per bowl; never more than 20 cents in fact. Schoolboys would venture to treat schoolgirls as a first bait for dating. Just imagine how far they went to woo the girls when they could not treat themselves… hahaha

Now who said there was gender equality or inequality whichever way you desire to coin the nomenclature… hahaha

June 17th, 2009 at 1:41 am

Awesome….even ice kacang they served you durian ice cream ! Mouth-watering and I can only slurps it off the monitor screen (“,) SLURPS SLURPS SLURPING……

Elin´s last blog post..Streaky Bacon Fried Rice With Salted Egg Yolk

June 17th, 2009 at 10:25 am

Wow, i bet it taste great! especially under hot sun in penang! plus u get to taste durian and ice-cream tgtr! and also ice kacang..

June 17th, 2009 at 10:48 am
octopusmum

this looks so yummy! too bad, i have came back from penang or i would definitely try this out..sure hope my next trip will be soon! btw, thks for all your recommendations and help in helping me plan my itinerary. i have tried most of the food as planned, the ah leng ckt (really v good!), the penang road chendol (love it), the coconut jelly (my family loves this and i am dreaming about bringing it into singapore), Hock seng rojak (can’t forget the sauce, the uncle was very kind to give me two boxes of sauce, one with chilli and the other without), the lorbak at Sin Kheng Aun was unforgettable…the list goes on. Now have to go on a diet to lose the weight i have gained during the trip :(

June 17th, 2009 at 11:47 am

CK…by looking at your post really make me feel like I want to try the ice kacang immediately….especially nowadays the weather so hot, how nice I can have a bowl of ice kacang … Will definitely feel very good….

giNnA´s last blog post..Rasa Sayang’s Spice Market Cafe_Penang

June 17th, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Big Boys Oven – Their quality and taste has been consistence all the years which is why customers keep returning for it. Penangites are still very lucky to have it right at their doorsteps.

Penang Tionghua – Well, this still continues with schoolboys treating schoolgirls and also the other way round but mostly will be in food franchise outlets.

Elin – Haha…make sure you wipe your saliva out of the keyboard and screen.

sakaigirl – You have to try out this version of ice kacang when you are in town. You cannot get it elsewhere.

octopusmum – I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your Penang makan trip. Do let me know when you intend to drop in again. Will plan another itinerary for you with this ice kacang included :)

giNnA – Ice Kacang is always a favorite item for many. I love it but not those that comes with pieces of nutmeg.

June 17th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

the bowl of ice is super colorful! how i wish i can have it now during this warm and hot weather!

ai wei´s last blog post..My ‘Dairy’ need

July 4th, 2009 at 11:32 am

holy i should have read this post prior going to penang recently. missed this… makes a good excuse to go back haha

November 17th, 2009 at 11:15 pm

ai wei – Always irresistible especially on a hot day.

QuaChee – Do inform me of your next visit, I will go makan with you.

November 18th, 2009 at 9:27 am
Ivan

I bought 20 bags after seen this blog…..but all of my colleague said “taste so bad”….. =(

November 25th, 2010 at 3:35 pm
eokg

The best ice kacang in Penang is at Hot & Spicy Cafe, Jalan Air Itam (main road), in front of the old Choon Nam cinema, opposite Public Bank Air Itam branch, just a few doors away from Shell petrol station.
RM2.80 per plate with ice-cream.
*****

December 6th, 2010 at 12:31 pm
Bj:au

Hi. All the food reviews on here sound amazing. I am an Australian and will be visiting Penang in febuary. I cannot wait to try some of this amazing food. Maybe you could email me with a list of must eat things in Penang? I would love that! Definitely going to keep reading your blog!

January 9th, 2011 at 7:33 pm
June

I don’t see any customers in Kek Seng. You sure its famous?

January 1st, 2012 at 3:09 pm
Lina

I think the Famous Ais Kacang is at Penang Hill LuYi Ais Kacang Since 1986.

December 19th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

1. Penang Food - Hainan Chicken Rice Thai Style | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jul 24 2009 / 10pm:

[...] a corner coffee shop along Penang Road. It is directly opposite KOMTAR Tower and on the same row as Kek Seng which is famous for its durian ice cream and ice [...]

2. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 5pm: