First Famous Restaurant in the narrow Lorong Susu is one of the well known places in Penang for its good variety of roast meat particularly it’s Pei Pa Duck. My family does frequent this place for its different selection of roast besides those from Sky & Star Cafe.

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

All orders will be accompanied with a complimentary bowl of preserved vegetable soup (chai boey) with duck meat too. The soup was tasty with a sensation of sour and spiciness and the strong fragrant of the lemongrass and ginger. The meal would not be complete without this addictive soup that gives a strong kick to the taste bud.

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

You could opt for a mix platter of Char Siew (barbecued pork) and Siew Bak (roast pork).  I usually go for the three layer Siew Bak with equal amount of fat and lean meat. The Char Siew was coated generously with the barbecue sauce giving the meat a hint of sweetness. The most aromatic pieces would be the ends which are slightly singed and burnt.

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

Besides the standard Siew Bak and Char Siew, do expect to find the classic steam and roast chicken. This mixed platter comes with steam chicken and Pei Pa duck on refreshingly crunchy cucumber alongside small bowls of brown sauces and the homemade chili sauce.

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

The Pei Pa duck is again heated up in the hot oil again before being served. The result is a crispy, aromatic and tender duck. You can catch all the action in my Vblog below!

The Duck was well seasoned, very meaty particularly the drumstick which I can’t resist using my hands. A perfect lunch and I would say that the meats are consistently good every time!

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

The place is operated by Mr.Chan who has been selling for the past twelve years! He benefits his skills while working under his father and improved it himself through the years. His father still operates the chicken rice stall in Tong Hooi Coffeeshop along Datuk Kramat Road.

All the meat roasted with charcoal are hung inside the display window… with the whole Pei Pa duck costing RM35.00!

Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang Duck Rice and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang

The shop is filled with diners during lunch hour and with people lining up for takeaways. It is located just beside the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Center. Click here for the Map Location. In the evening you will find Mr Chan manning his stall in Pantai Timur Cafe in Paya Terubong, Air Itam. Both outlets are closed every alternate Monday.

First Famous Restaurant
3 Lorong Susu
Pulau Pinang

Tel : 016 4545847 (Mr Chan)

Business Hours: 10:30am till 4pm

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 16th, 2010 at 8:40 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Roast Meat. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Yo~ Yummy duck rice ^^

March 16th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Good Pei Pa Duck is hard to find. Nice recommendation. Another good one would be at Taman Pekaka Sg Dua opposite the old Makro called CHU YOKE WENG. Give it a try. That’s my regular place for Pei Pa Duck crave.

March 17th, 2010 at 10:06 am

Reminded me of the duck in Lunas. Cheap, and lovely.

March 17th, 2010 at 10:26 am

Ha… just got to know about this place and plan to visit too. Thanks for sharing.

March 17th, 2010 at 12:59 pm
sky

food is nice but the attitude suck !!!

March 17th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

re-heat before serving, pipping hot & crispy skin!!!

March 17th, 2010 at 2:12 pm

oh dear, i am seriously salivating looking at the duckie now

March 17th, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Ya, I once been to this place. Cause my friend told me the price is cheap. However, when the time I have ordered the price is out of my expectation. After analyzed, I finally realized, if order 2 plate of duck rice is different from 2 persons eat of duck rice, the 2 persons portion will surely much expensive then ordering the plate one.

March 17th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I dislike the chai boey here, only taste spicy , no sourness. (http://cariso-food.blogspot.com/2009/10/fff-first-famous-federal.html)

March 17th, 2010 at 11:41 pm

ahhh I love Chari Boay! :D

March 18th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Interesting video… Haven’t had pei pa duck for quite some time! Too bad this is in Penang…

March 18th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Wow look so tempting and delicious!!! I always like roasted duck and goose.

March 18th, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Oh I must hit this place the next time I visit Penang! I’ve been having a craving for roasted meats (and duck) of late, maybe since having some really good roast goose in Macau a couple of months ago.

I had some roast meat platter at a Chinese franchise restaurant in KL last nite but it sure does not measure up to what you’ve reviewed here! Your Pei Pa Duck Rice looks soooo good!

March 18th, 2010 at 6:47 pm
rinesesat

sky… I absolutely support
the so called “Mr Chan” serves ppl ‘big small side’ (try translating it to hokkien = not fair)
he will serve base on his customers preference
I have experienced this 2 times though I used to be quite a regular there and now I totally ban this place…. and seriously it’s nothing much to shout about
I have a few friends also experiencing the same ‘big small side’ and this shop is totally outta our list dee

March 18th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I always like the drum stick, ever since when I was young drum stick has been my all time favourite. Happy eating.

March 19th, 2010 at 4:35 am

I don’t really like duck meat but this pei pa duck is nice. Been there a few times but parking is a problem in the narrow lorong.

March 19th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

This place is famous for its roasted duck but it’s on my weekly-must-eat list for its char siew (BBQ pork). I love Eddie (Mr Chan)’s bubbliness which won him many regulars like myself.

Recently, the shop next door opened for business and the noodle pictures plastered all over the place seem appetizing. Kept telling myself I should try it out but every time I head over to Lrg Susu, the char siew rice is a must! Oh well…

March 19th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

kena seduce by the picture..see also lau nua~

March 19th, 2010 at 5:08 pm
ah wei

ya, the duck is nice, char siew also not bad.
Also agree the boss attitude got abit problem.

March 20th, 2010 at 1:48 am
Penang Lang

If the boss got attitude problem, I say ban this place!
I would rather pay my HARD EARNED money to a business which appreciates my custom!
The sad thing is IDIOTS keep going back even if the Boss got attitude problem, we have to let them know, they are not KING OF THE WORLD!

March 20th, 2010 at 3:40 pm
Ben

Actually i was always hv lunch there but on this monday my friends bring me to his father stall (next to Honolulu) and found the char siew & char boey were much nicer then him. Even the chili was much better then Eddie.

March 21st, 2010 at 12:29 am

wow I just love the vblog! just awesome!

March 21st, 2010 at 8:48 am

Love their Char Siew (barbecued pork). Agree with Penang Lang that the owner has attitudes problem and is not very customer focused. There was once that we had to wait for about an hour just to get our food and he was not serious about what he told his customer, just said “wait for 10 minutes” and the wait kept extending!
Apparently, he was awarded PJK or something…his pictures were hung on the wall.

March 22nd, 2010 at 12:09 am

The last time we went there the pei pa duck was not really good as promoted. The duck meat was dry and skin not crisp at all. Then there was the chai boey, like Cariso said, only taste of heat and no other flavours. The Char Siew was ok, but slightly too sweet for our liking. Don’t think we will be back there anytime soon.

The new shop at the corner unit, do have some good choices in noodles. We tried them after an event at Guang Ming. We might need to go back to the noodle shop to really taste the flavours before we can an actual account.

March 24th, 2010 at 12:46 pm
kl

yeah the char siew is good and so to the chai boey… but personally i feel that the Pei Pa Duck is so so only, the “milk” taste is too strong may be due to not processed well..

April 20th, 2010 at 3:17 pm
Kenneth

wow….after duck rice can try the next door wanton mee. very nice n have variety of choice. getting hungry now….if you go there, try the “ma po tau fu” mee.

April 24th, 2010 at 10:56 am
Andy Lee

I believe the BEST Pei Pa Duck is still in Air Hitam, Conner coffee shop on your way turning into Jalan Sempadan (Use to call Boundary Road), opp Nissan Car Show Room, I have taken his duck for more than 30 year now and quality remain, Uncle don’t cut Conner for margin. He might be the Master of Pei Pa Ark for the Penang Island. Advise ask for more of his special source …..darm shiok

August 3rd, 2010 at 10:49 am

1. Yong Tau Foo at Kafe Pantai Timur Cafe, Paya Terubong Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 04 2010 / 6pm:

[...] We were in Air Itam area on a lazy Sunday afternoon and since we were nearby Kafe Pantai Timur, we decided to stop over there for lunch. Located in the residential area of Paya Terubong, this coffee shop is home to many hawker stalls which mostly operate in the night. Among the sea of stalls includes the Pei Pa Duck stall. [...]

2. Tong-Sui & Tang Yuen at All About Sugar & Gift | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 14 2010 / 2pm:

[...] This outlet is open daily. Click here for the Map Location. It is located a few houses away from the First Famous Duck Rice. [...]